- Needs and wants are taken care of by suppressing them or maneuvering others to take care of them.
- Also use manipulative behaviors to get others to take care of them.
- Denies needs, subordinates them to others, or manipulates others to take care of them
- Often plays martyr role
- Creates conditions in which others will take the lead or make decisions
- Tries to do what they think others expect of them
- Lacks self-confidence
- Easily intimidated and controlled by others
- Occasionally cashes in on stored-up anger and feelings
- Uncertain about who they are
- May result in some needs getting met.
- Often results in sacrificing needs, getting them met in inappropriate ways, and the loss of identity and ability to take care of self.
- Needs and wants are taken care of by knowing, accepting, and acting on them in constructive, straightforward, and authentic ways.
- Sensitive to the needs and feelings of others
- Expresses needs and feelings in constructive and straightforward ways
- Persistent without being offensive
- Levels and confronts from caring and reasonable position
- Good sense of timing and judgment about when to assert themselves
- Calm in a crisis
- Able to know and take care of needs in a constructive way without doing so at the expense of others.